Sunday, September 19, 2004

I guess you would say I am your archetypal churchey Christian. Not many people can relate to me. I am part of the church. A glorious place because it is full of such great diversity. And although you may not like the theological language, all members of it are sinners, continually bound to failure. Jesus says (Luke 19:10) that he came to seek and save the lost. Isn't it quality that the fact that we fail is proof that he did come to save the lost (he is who he said he is)! The church is always failing.

Since my Church split I have had a hard time understanding what church is supposed to be and how I am supposed to relate to it and I guess I am finally getting to grips with it. I guess the lyrics from a song express my sentiments now:

What a beautiful letdown
painfully uncool
The church of the drop outs, the losers,
the sinners, the failures, and the fools.
What a beautiful let down
are we salt in the wound?
Let us sing on true tune.

This true tune I have found in the Bible:

Colossians
The Supremacy of Christ

15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18And he is the head of the body, the church ......

2 Comments:

At 11:10 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

hello Olivoise. Not wanting to be controversial but as church, we are all saints surely? Once sinners of course but now redeemed and justified, a new creation in Christ. Just a thought...

 
At 1:34 pm, Blogger Oliver said...

I do not deny that Jonny. I guess I am just highlighting that we are still sinners and I guess sometimes we try to make out that the people who make up the church aren't. So when your view of church is upset by disagreement, failure, hurt e.t.c. Yours whole picture of the body of Christ is destroyed if you think it is near perfect. I think I have just learnt to put my identity in Christ so that I can be part of the church as it is meant to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home